I listen to a lot of podcasts, usually when on the treadmill, walking to the hospital, or driving to work. This time of year there are a number of episodes to choose from that can help you get in the Christmas spirit! So pull up some snow-capped chocolate crinkle cookies and settle in for a listen. Here are some of my favorites.
(1) Tea and Tattle (teaandtattlepodcast.com)
Quite possibly my favorite podcast of all time. Best friends (and British!) Miranda Mills and Sophie Butler narrate discussions about books, hygge, gardening…pretty much all of my favorite things in one podcast.
- Episode 08: Christmas Traditions – Miranda and Sophie read aloud from some of their favorite Christmas stories that capture their own holiday traditions.
(2) Open Country, BBC Radio 4 (bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgft)
Countryside Magazine’s podcast devoted to the UK countryside.
- Dec 22 2016: Winter Solstice at Newgrange – Celebrating the winter solstice at Newgrange in Ireland.
- Dec 17 2015: The Northern Lights at Christmas – Helen Mark visits Swedish Lapland (my most Instagram favorited piece of Earth) to look for the Northern Lights.
(3) Sacred Ordinary Days Podcast (sacredordinarydays.com)
More from Jenn Giles Kemper and Lacy Clark Ellman on their walk through the liturgical year.
- Episode 3: Christmas + Christmastide + Celebration – A great way to learn about the twelve days of Christmas and the holy feast days that mark the period.
(4) The Food Programme, BBC Radio 4 (bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3)
More BBC, this time all about food.
- Dec 22 2013: Nutmeg: The Smell of Christmas? – A look at the history of nutmeg and the more recent impact of Hurricane Ivan in 2004.
- Dec 23 2012: Christmas Necessary Pleasures – What would famous chefs serve at their imaginary Christmas banquets?